Written by Felicia Slattery
Public speaking provides a powerful way for you to market your business in a variety of contexts. Often, you may find yourself at a networking meeting or other occasion where you’ll be invited to speak for just a brief period about your business. Only a few minutes isn’t enough time to deliver a full-length “Signature Speech” (that’s a 30-60 minute speech filled with useful information for your audience so you can market your business), but you can give people an accurate sense of what you do while boosting your credibility and potentially attracting new prospects.
Here are my tips for when you have just a few minutes to talk about your business:
- Start with your purpose. What do you want to get out of the event? Are you hoping to get people to sign up to receive a free report and therefore join your mailing list? Do you want to sell an e-book? Be specific about what you hope to get as a direct result of your speech.
- Consider the purpose of the audience. Why is that audience gathered? Think about who those folks are and why they have selected to attend that event and what they hope to gain from listening to you speak. Be sure to give them what they have been promised they will hear. One clue can be to look at the context of the event to determine what your audience hopes to gain.
- Consider your area of expertise. In your business what have you helped your clients with that has produced spectacular results for them? Talk about that.
- Consider your PASSION. This is huge. Speak to the audience about something you are passionate about. When you do so your audience will be drawn to you and will want to listen. We are inspired by passion, and that includes listening to others who are passionate about what they do.
- Make it interactive. Do this by asking questions. I prefer to have interaction throughout my presentations to continue to draw the audience in.
- Always provide a few steps, tips, or techniques that your audience members can use in their lives right away. You want people to feel they have come away from your talk with great value. Providing helpful information will help you achieve that goal– even if you only have just a few minutes to speak.
Remember your job in the few minutes you have to speak is to build your credibility and attract your ideal clients and prospects. When you do, you’ll soon see the power even just a few minutes has when you are marketing your business with public speaking.
Public speaking is one important way to increase your credibility as a small or home-based business owner. I invite you to discover how to Increase Business by Communicating Your Credibility now. You’ll get this FREE e-course designed to help you attract more business and get more cash flow. Pick it up here:http://www.communicationtransformation.com/creating-credibility-ecourse.html
If you’d like to learn more about using public speaking to market your business, visit http://www.CashInOnSpeaking.com. You’ll learn everything you need to know from how to choose a topic, how to best organize your speech to get instant results, and where to go to get booked to speak.
Felicia J. Slattery, M.A., M.Ad.Ed. is a communication consultant, speaker & coach specializing in training small and home-based business owners effective communication skills so they can see more cash flow now.
Felicia J. Slattery lives her life with energy, passion and enthusiasm. She is a teacher, trainer, speaker, writer, consultant and coach and specializes in training busy professionals to succeed through effective communication and by delivering results-driven presentations.