Written by Sue Clement
When the going gets rough and the economy makes people hold on to their wallets with a vengeance, many business owners try to broaden their appeal. It seems logical — the more people they target, the more likely they ought to be to find new leads and clients.
Well, it doesn’t work that way. Instead, you should focus on what you do best. And generally, you’ll find the answer to what that would be by checking in with your favorite clients. Instead of reaching for a broader target audience, aim for a much more narrowly targeted one.
One of the best ways to get more success is to copy the success you have.
Follow this three-step process (which includes 12 key questions you must ask), and you’ll be on your way to get lots more clients just like your favorites:
Step 1: Analyze your clients
Write down the names of your three most favorite or best clients – the ones you do your best work with. Ask yourself what makes them special and write down your answers.
• Why do you like them?
• Who are they? Age, gender, demographics, and so on.
• What’s makes them different from the clients you don’t like so much?
• What kind of services or goods do they buy from you?
• Where did you find them — or how did they find you?
Step 2: Talk to them
Ask them the following questions, listen to their answers and take copious notes
• What do they like about you?
• Why do they continue to use your services or keep coming back?
• How have your products or services improved or impacted them?
• Where did (or do) they look for the kinds of services or goods that you provide?
• Where do they “hang out” online?
• What kinds of websites and approaches appeal to them?
• What kinds of special offers would they find irresistible?
Step 3. Do more of what they like
Once you have their answers, do more of the things that attracted them in the first place, and that are likely to attract others like them:
• Explore their favorite sites — and join them there.
• Rewrite your marketing message and networking introduction using some of their answers from the step above.
• Tweak your offerings to cater specifically to others like them.
• Target your advertising or promotions the same way.
• Redefine yourself and your services or goods in a way that makes you perfect for them.
And finally, please do more than just read this – schedule time to think, write, connect with your ideal clients and do the work! Before you know it, you’ll draw more people just like your favorites… And your business will be more successful than you had ever thought possible.
How would you like to get more and better leads, referrals, and clients?